The iconic Barbie turns 52 today.
The Barbie doll was first introduced at a Toy Fair in New York by the Mattel toy company. The day was March 9,1959. and from then on this date is also celebrated as her official birthday. When Barbie was first introduced she had a black and white swim suite and her hair style was either blonde or brunette. It was in a pony tail with bangs. The first Barbie had eyes with white irises, blue eyeliner, and arched eyebrows.
The inventor of the Barbie doll is Ruth Handler, co-founder of Mattel. She named the doll after her daughter, Barbara. The Ken doll made his debut two years after Barbie, in 1961 and was named after the 16 year old son of Mattel founders Ruth and Elliot Handler. Ruth has said that "Barbie was created so little girls could have choices about their futures."
Barbie's design was inspired by a German doll called Bild Lilli. Mattel acquired the rights to the Bild Lilli doll in 1964 and production of Lilli was stopped.
Barbie's full name is Barbie Millicent Roberts. She is from Willows, Wisconsin, and went to Willows High School. Her favorite color is pink.
Some Barbie Trivia
Here are some interesting Barbie facts:
- If Barbie were a real woman, her measurements would be 36-18-38.
- The first Barbie doll with legs that could bend was introduced to the market in 1965.
- Barbie's eyes were adjusted in 1971 to have her looking straight ahead, as opposed to looking sideways.
- Barbie is an animal lover who has had 43 pets over the years. Her animal companions have included cats, dogs, horses, and a lion cub.
- Barbie has had over 80 careers - Barbie's first career was as a teenage fashion model. Others include astronaut, rock star, paleontologist, presidential candidate, and Olympic ice skater
- Barbie has represented 45 different nationalities.
- In 2000, Barbie doll has a belly button for the first time.
- When placed from head to toe, one after the other, Barbie dolls and other dolls in the series can circle the earth seven times.